Enable / Disable transitions

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM
What's the best way to switch off the transitions (without setting TransitionBox.Transition=null )....
Having a bool available would be nice, for example:  TransitionBox.IsTransitionEnabled=false
Jun 9, 2008 at 2:23 PM

MooseTaylor wrote:
What's the best way to switch off the transitions (without setting TransitionBox.Transition=null )....
Having a bool available would be nice, for example:  TransitionBox.IsTransitionEnabled=false

There's not really an option to disable it. You could implement a transition strategy that had an enabled / disabled property, but it'd probably be best to just add this to the TransitionBox itself.

Can you give me an example of when you'd want to disable a transition? Seems like once you've decided you want transitions they'd always run.

If you'd like, you can put it in the Issue Tracker as a feature request.
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM

jbienz wrote:

MooseTaylor wrote:

There's not really an option to disable it. You could implement a transition strategy that had an enabled / disabled property, but it'd probably be best to just add this to the TransitionBox itself.

Can you give me an example of when you'd want to disable a transition? Seems like once you've decided you want transitions they'd always run.

If you'd like, you can put it in the Issue Tracker as a feature request.

Sorry, that was me. I was signed in with my personal account rather than my MS account.
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Hi Jared, my reason for asking for an option to disable the transition is for users on lower spec machines. I'm writting an app that produces a WPF powerpoint slide presentation. On hi-end machines, the transitions look really good and add to the presentation, but on some laptops (single core), the performance gets in the way of the presentation.

It would be useful to disable (without destroying) the transition.

p.s. Really like the library...great work.
Jun 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM

MooseTaylor wrote:
Hi Jared, my reason for asking for an option to disable the transition is for users on lower spec machines. I'm writting an app that produces a WPF powerpoint slide presentation. On hi-end machines, the transitions look really good and add to the presentation, but on some laptops (single core), the performance gets in the way of the presentation.

Why not try to create a transition that simply switches the two views?  No effects.  Set the TransitionElelement to that transition when you determine you are on a box that is low power?  Then set it to the other transitions when it is running on the high power box.
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2008 at 2:50 PM

MooseTaylor wrote:

I've added a feature request to the issue tracker for this. I can't promise when I'll get it in but it's not a huge thing to implement. For now, you should be able to just set the TransitionElement.Transition to null and it should work as requested. The reason I still think an 'Enabled' property would be nice to have is beause bool is easier to data bind to a checkbox or configuration setting that Transition is.
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2008 at 2:53 PM
P.S. Performance was one of the major reasons I wanted to get this out to the public. Keep in mind that all of these transitions were created for Acropolis in it's early CTP stages. If Acropolis had ever been taken to market I'm qutie sure someone would have spent some time looking into improving the performance. Unfortunately this may be a little beyond me (especially some of the 3D ones) so anyone that wants to help in this area is very welcome.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2008 at 5:08 AM
This feature has been added and is checked into source control. It will be part of the 1.1 binary release (still a few more fixes to address).