TransitionConverter cannot convert from Type System.String

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM
I get this error in design mode and then the designer never lets you see the Window/Page because error comes whenever you try to reload the designer. In the TransitionConverter's ConvertFrom function I placed a message box to prompt if value is null and display it's type if it is not null. Then when I reloaded the deigner it showed me 3 or 4 messageboxes with all showing data type System.String (which is supported by converter) but in the end a null object prompt. After that the designer reports the error mentioned in subject and the Window gets unloaded in design mode.

Can you please help what should be the behavior when null object is passed? Currently you have called the base.ConvertFrom method due to which i think this error is coming. Or should the null object never be passed? I dont know who is passing this null object. I've just set this

<DataTemplate>
                    <t:TransitionElement Content="{Binding}">
                        <t:TransitionElement.Transition>
                            <trans:FadeTransition Duration="0:0:0.5" />
                        </t:TransitionElement.Transition>
                    </t:TransitionElement>
                </DataTemplate>

as the ContentTemplate of a TabControl.
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Hello Haider. I beleive your issue is related to this one. Please open an issue in the issue tracker with steps to reproduce and I'll take a look later this week. I believe this is due to a limitation in the transition converter, but I'm not exactly sure why that's being called when you're specifically stating the FadeTansition. Will have to look more into it.

Thanks,

Jared
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2008 at 6:04 AM
This isssue has been resolved and is checked in to source control. I created a Work Item for this to associte the check-in but in the future please try to do this when reporting a bug. This fix will be included in the 1.1 binary release.